Lane Library hired SHP Leading Design for several renovation projects to improve the flow and make the 1866 building relevant for how people use libraries today. The project included significant restoration of the interior and exterior as well as reconstruction of the original 1865 cupola.
Key features include:
- A reading room was created in the existing octagon room with space for presentations/performances.
- Several new windows were added to allow for day lighting.
- The circulation area was relocated and includes a self check-out machine and a redesigned drive-thru.
- Office space was reorganized to increase efficiencies and make more public space available, and technology was completely upgraded throughout the building.
- Exterior improvements, including paint colors, materials/product selection, and site furnishings (benches, fence, light fixtures) were approved by the City of Hamilton’s German Village District Board to ensure the project fit within the historic context of the village.