SHP provided architecture, MEP engineering and interior design for a new two-story branch library as part of a planned town development. Key features include:
- As a focal point of the new development, the library was required to meet the developer’s design requirements, while informing and inspiring future projects in the development. SHP worked with Lane Library, the developer and the City of Oxford to develop the exterior design solution.
- The number of volumes was scaled back to create more open, collaborative space. Soft seating creates a café feel in the Adult section.
- The large children’s area creates a museum-like, experiential learning environment with custom, interactive exhibits.
- Wireless technology, public access computers dispersed throughout the library and iPad carts for use anywhere in the library provide a technology-rich environment.
- Strategically located fixed and mobile staff stations on both floors provide line of sight and passive supervision. An integrated digital security system provides additional protection of library assets.