SHP is currently designing the new Chillicothe Primary School for 600 students in grades K-2. The school is being designed around the district’s philosophy of “The Leader in Me” which cultivates the leader within every child by teaching personal responsibility. It will complement the design language of the all of the district’s buildings by incorporating elements of the traditional architecture style in the city.
Key features include:
- A bright color palette and the theme of the 7 Habits of Happy Kids coordinate with a theme of growth featuring tree-like functional elements throughout the building.
- Open media center with tiered reading area that allows for class storytime sessions
- Enclosed outdoor learning areas provide safe and secure spaces for students to explore the great outdoors
- Grades are physically separated into pods in different areas of the school while classrooms are grouped together based on class subject
- Operable walls allow for combined-class lessons and large ELAs provide necessary space for group project work while retaining teacher supervision