One of the first OFCC design–build projects, the expansion of a former big box retail space (partially developed in a prior phase), delivers the open, flexible environment the client sought to better serve their STEM program for grades 6-12.
Key features include:
- The design includes classrooms, science labs with support space; project labs including an engineering bar; open, flexible break out areas with soft seating; a wellness room to support PE activities; and offices and conference rooms.
- 10,000 sf of flexible space gives students space they can use when working on special long-term projects.
- Transparency is achieved through windows and open spaces, showcasing educational activities throughout the school.
- The project was delivered under an aggressive schedule: it began in January and the client moved into the space in August.
- Due to existing code issues that were left outstanding from the prior work, SHP had to address over $800,000 of life safety improvements before the current project could move forward, and still delivered the project on schedule and within the budget.